Skip to main content

DotA AI Map Creator, BuffMePlz Retires!

DotA AI Map Creator BuffMePlz - For two years since the release of Dota Allstars 6.49 AI map, BuffMePlz finally decided not to continue AI development due to work load and responsibilites. We all have seen the great phenomenon DotA AI Maps had created and how many fans worldwide have been anticipated by the features and heroes on every release of DotA AI Maps. Read BuffMePlz statement below as quoted from his blog.

Update
DotA 6.67b AI Map (v06/11/2010) is a second release that contains DotA AI Map fix for some bugs found in previous DotA 6.67b AI Map (v06/07/2010).

We expect more fix to be released by Harreke until it becomes stable and ready for DotA 6.67c AI then next is DotA 6.68 AI.



BuffMePls statement on his retirement as DotA AI developer


After much thought and consideration, I have decided to no longer continue my work on DotA AI maps. Between my increased work responsibilities, advancing on to the next stage of life, my waning interest in DotA, and the frustration from both dealing with the community's demands and the community having to deal with my absences, I believe it is best for me to let this project go and move on.

It was a fun two years, with updates on almost every version since 6.49 (we're up to 6.66b now, crazy!), but as lazyfiend/RGB said when he left, I find that working on this map is no longer enjoyable to me, and is in fact quite a burden.

I've contacted GoD-Tony (killerbee) about taking over, and if he decides to, I'll try to help him get up to speed as much as possible. If not, I hope whomever takes my place will have as much fun as I did these past two years learning the ins and outs of JASS and the WC3 engine.

My passion has always been with the Fun Taverns, and though I will not continue AI development I may occasionally release some maps on my blog with old heroes and/or original creations, so feel free to visit and leave comments for me here.Thanks for the fun times guys!

But it seems GoD-Tony won't accept BuffMePlz offer though he has a condition that if some developers would team up on DotA AI creation then that would be the time he would change his mind.


God-Tony refused to continue DotA AI development


Taking this blog in a slightly different direction, I'll write a bit about my thoughts on DotA AI and the retirement of BuffMePlz.

I recently received an email from BMP informing me of his decision, as well as his offer of general guidance to lead my own AI project. My first reaction was "Why didn't I get an email like this sooner?"

I believe that if an AI project had been worked together by a team of people, then it wouldn't have come down to this. It's really too much to take on by one person.

The idea of posting my Pre-Alpha builds of RGB's AI for the newest version at the time was to spark some interest in development in an otherwise dead scene. I knew BMP wasn't interested in wasting his time with people that thought they "could help" but couldn't do anything other than offer another opinion. This was a way of proving that there were certainly people interested in helping, myself and Cipd included

That was almost a year ago when my interest for developing AI was at it's peak, and when I received no response regarding those maps, I moved on to the next idea. This was to create an Open AI for DotA that could be ported to the latest version almost instantly, and Open in the sense that it would be very easy for others to contribute (especially open source)

Even though I completed the code-base for this project, it still needed some real AI to go along with it. This was back in January, and once again with no response or input from the ones I contacted, and the continuation of BMPs' ports of RGBs' maps, I decided that it was a wasted effort.

What I'm getting at here is that it's basically too little too late. I believe DotA for Warcraft 3 is near it's death. With Heroes of Newerth released just days ago, Starcraft 2 coming out this year, and the possibility of IceFrog moving on to Valve, by the time I created a decent AI, DotA would be on a different platform.

I don't see myself working on an AI for DotA now or in the future, and the only way I could see this changing is if some very ambitious developers came forward and teamed up as it should be done.

Popular posts from this blog

Warcraft III Delay Reducer - Warcraft 3 DR Download

Warcraft III Delay Reducer or Warcraft 3 DR - is a tool that changes the delay from Battle.net's default 250ms to whatever you want. Note : Windows 7/Vista users make sure you run the Delay reducer as an Administrator

Garena Universal MapHack 13 - GUMH 13 for Warcraft 1.26a Patch

Garena Universal MapHack 13 - GUMH 13 for Warcraft 1.26a Patch - This is the updated version of GUMH to support the new Warcraft III blizzard patch v1.26a (1.26.0). The GUMH v13 supports Warcraft 3 1.26a patch. - for 1.25b please use Garena Universal MapHack 12 - GUMH 12 - for 1.24e please use Garena Universal MapHack 11 - GUMH 11

Garena Universal MapHack 11 - GUMH 11 for Warcraft 1.24e Patch

Garena Universal MapHack 11 - GUMH 11 for Warcraft 1.24e Patch - This is the updated version of GUMH that supports Warcraft patch v1.24e. This works ONLY with Garena. Use original Garena and avoid using it with other Garena cracks (like protection removers, dll unloaders, cracked versions etc) or it will get detected.